Sample Job Advertisement for a Consumer Health Librarian
From the CAPHIS Discussion List, March 2001
Reviewed February 2011
The XX Medical Center is a 463-bed regional referral center affiliated with XXX and located just south of XXX. It principally serves the citizens of XXX, and provides a full range of medical services including, a Level 2 Trauma center, a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, a transplant center, and 3 intensive care units.
The Consumer Health Library (CHL) is new to our facility, with construction slated to be finished at the end of XXXX. The Consumer Health Librarian is a new position and reports to the Medical Library Manager. The new library will provide information in appropriate language, format, and literacy level to patients and families of XX Medical Center, as well as other members of the community as needed. The Consumer Health Librarian will have the opportunity to build a new collection, covering a wide range of topics that will meet the needs of our patients.
Summary of Job
The Consumer Health Library Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operation and continued development of the CHL. This person is responsible for serving the health information needs of the patient population of XX Hospitals of XX. This position requires a public-service oriented individual who supports consumer and patient access to a wide range of health and medical information and who exercises a high degree of independence and sound judgment. The Consumer Health Library Coordinator is an information advocate for consumers and the professionals who serve them. It is the role of the Consumer Health Library Coordinator to create an environment where diverse health information needs are met in a timely and confidential manner.
- Serve as collection development specialist for Consumer Health Library materials.
- Serve as authority control for subject classification of all CHL materials.
- Provide computerized Hospital-wide access to the CHL and Medical Library collections in cooperation with the Medical Library Manager.
- Provide in-depth reference assistance, including training in use of CHL resources.
- Continue to acquire, learn and teach new computer technology and knowledge-based retrieval systems in order to improve the CHL's ability to meet users' information needs.
- Supervise the work of CHL volunteer/s and any appropriate support staff.
- Develop and evaluate CHL goals and objectives, anticipating and planning for future needs.
- Establish and implement policies and procedures for operating the CHL.
- Network with appropriate local, state, regional and national library and/or information groups to enhance the CHL's resource sharing and services.
- Nurture relationships with local library and community agencies.
- Assist in developing CHL annual budget.
- Publicize and market CHL services.
- Participate in continuing education.
- Maintain confidentiality of all CHL users and support the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights.
Education and Experience Required
- Master of Library/Information Science degree from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited university.
- At least two years of professional experience in a health sciences library.
- Experience with library applications of microcomputers.
- Experience searching knowledge-based computer databases, i.e. Ovid.
- Experience using the Internet for knowledge-based information retrieval.
- Experience providing health reference service to the public with strong consumer health and public service ethics.
Specific Job Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to communicate with staff, patients, and families about their information needs.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and execute the work of operating the Consumer Health Library.
- Ability to supervise and direct activities of volunteer staff and utilize hospital support staff as appropriate.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
This is a full-time position. XX Hospitals of XX offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, with a generous range starting at $XX/hour, $XX,XXX annual salary. XX Hospitals of XX is an EOE.