Carol Ann Attwood, MLS, AHIP, MPH, RN,C
Patient Health and Education Library
Mayo Clinic Arizona
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
Updated May 20, 2010
Tools provided in this section include a guide to Internet resources, guidelines for evaluation of health information on the
Web, and strategies for developing an authoritative consumer health collection.
Medical Library Association
Lieberman, J. Consumer Health: A Guide to Internet Information Resources, Second Revised Edition. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 2004. http://www.mlanet.org/order/store/cat/product_info.php?products_id=83 Accessed [May 2010]. Consumer health bibliography, medical search engines and integrators, subject directories, subject specific websites, electronic journals and medical news sources
- Cornett, S., Gordon, L., Rambo, N. Weaver, E., Spatz, M. et al; Reading Between the Lines: Focusing on Health Information Literacy. Medical Library Association Teleconference broadcast on September 10, 2003. http://www.mlanet.org/education/telecon/healthlit/ Accessed [May 2010]. Health information literacy, and highlighting utilization of these principles in providing appropriate health information to consumers
- Medical Library Association. A User’s Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web. http://www.mlanet.org/resources/userguide.html. Accessed [May 2010].
- Medical Library Association. Content Evaluation Guidelines/CAPHIS/Medical Library Association. http://www.mlanet.org/resources/userguide.html#3 Accessed [May 2010].
National Institutes of Health
- Rees. AM., Editor. Seventh Edition Consumer Health Source Book. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press; 2003.
- Smith, K, McCall, S and Vucovich, L. MedlinePlus "Go Local" and Consumer Health Collection Development.
Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, 2007; Volume 11 (Issue 2.): 43-59. http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a903327325, Accessed [May 2010].
- Eysenbach, G, Powell, J, Kuss, O and Sa, E. Empirical Studies Assessing the Quality of Health Information for Consumers on the World Wide Web: A Systematic Review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2002; 287: 2691-2700.
- University of Connecticut Health Center. Recommended Books for a Consumer Health Library: Healthnet: Connecticut Health Information Network, Lyman Maynard Stowe Library. Farmington, CT: 2008. http://library.uchc.edu/departm/hnet/corelist.html. Accessed [May 2010].
American Library Association